- Students care for God’s creation by raising salmon, releasing them in our neighborhood stream, and nurturing/promoting a safe environment for fish to live in.
- The history, geography, people and government of our great state, Washington, is the focus for social studies.
- Students learn and practice study skills such as notetaking.
- Practicing their presentation skills, students read a storybook in the school-wide speech program.
- Fourth graders display and take care of the school’s American flag, while also leading the school in the Pledge of Allegiance
- In September, students prepare the Holy Spirit Mass.
- Students learn how to play the recorder and perform at the Christmas concert.
- Students organize and present at the Veteran’s Day assembly.
- World Language Class twice a week.
4th Grade Standards
- Prayer for Peace and the Memorare
- Cares for God’s creation by raising salmon, releasing them in our neighborhood stream, and nurturing/ promoting a safe environment for fish to live in
- The Beatitudes
- Fruits of the Holy Spirit
Understands and uses different strategies and skills to read
- Dictionaries, thesauruses
- Word origins, base-words, suffixes, and prefixes
Understands the meaning of what is read
- Determines text theme, main ideas, author’s purpose and supporting details
- Sequences most important events and summarizes
- Describes and analyzes story elements
- Identifies non-fiction text features and their purpose
- Identifies figurative language devices and their purpose
Uses effective content, organization, and style
- Develops claims and supports them using substantial evidence
- Writes several paragraphs on the same topic
- Learns stylistic techniques to express ideas and creatively and effectively
- Learns spelling rules and patterns
- English language and grammar; sentence structure and parts of speech
Number Sense and Algebra:
- Quickly recalls math facts to 12×12
- Uses algorithms to solve 4 digit by 2 digit multiplication
- Find multiples and factors of whole numbers
- Determines prime and composite numbers
- Determines mean, medium and mode
- Compares equivalent fractions
- Converts decimals to/from fractions
- Identifies probability in fraction form
- Adds and subtracts fractions, including mixed numbers
Geometry and Measurement
- Computes the perimeter and area of rectangles
- Computes elapsed time
- Knows relative size of standard measurement units
- Expresses measurements from a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit
- Understands geometric properties, such as angle measure
Problem Solving and Reasoning:
- Solves multi-operational word problems
- Energy Works
- Plants and Animals Structures
- Changing Earth
- The history, geography, people and government of WA State
- Biography study and writing project on a famous individual or group